2.11.2009

The Dopeness


I have been listening to the soundtrack to The Wackness for a couple of weeks now and I encourage anyone who likes hiphop in any way, shape, or form to give it a sit-down. Chock full o a sweet mix of smooth beats and some jams starting to border on gangsta (before that shit blew up), it's an excellent mix. Throw in a Mott the Hoople track and it's all good.

For those not in the know, the film takes place in the mid 90s when hiphop was thriving somewhere between Tribe and DMX. Summatime, kid sells green from a ice cart, falls in love, all to a dope soundtrack.

Sidenote - Method Man (who, in '94, was a member of Wu-Tang Clan) plays kid's supplier.

After seeing the movie a second time (once I had the soundtrack) I noticed a bunch of songs in the film that weren't on the offish score. Most noticeably the Wu's own C.R.E.A.M.

Anyway, for a sick dose of mid-nineties hiphop before things REALLY got gangsta, check out The Wackness. It's also a pretty good movie.
____________________
RE. below post - Fairey was arrested as he was entering his ICA opening. He appeared in Brighton and Roxbury district courts a couple days ago.