2.08.2009

faireys

I've been a fan of Shepherd Fairey since I first started becoming aware of and researching graf bowmbers/public artists a number of years ago. Now that the world is becoming saturated with his images (especially the iconic Obama/hope print) I feel the need to spread the love even more (and remind the posers that I was a fan first).

Fairey dog has been screen printing/sticker bombing/etc. for almost 20 years. He's best known for his Andre the Giant obey rorschach-esque print. Little do people know, the Obey campaign was preceeded by the lesser-known Andre the Giant Has a Posse campaign:


Sprung from an inside joke with a friend who wanted to learn how to screen print. Cuz, like, who wouldn't want to be in A the G's posse?

In writing this post, I came accross several spoofs of the print, from one advertising Charles Darwin's posse (seriously scary, I am a member) to my personal favorite:






Tony Danza is a bad mama jama.


Look also for Parker Posey's posse and Darth Vader's dark side posse.

Anyway, if you live in Boston you are probably experiencing even more the over-saturation of Mr. Fairey cause he has a show (opened two days ago) at the ICA. Which, by the way, if you haven't been to their new location (well not so new anymore) on the waterfront, it's worth the trek. I'm planning on checking out the exhibit. But just remember - I liked him way before all ya'll.